Shuttlecock Moisture Levels
- Critical to ensure durability and consistency of flight.
- Paper: Proper Shuttlecock Moisture Levels
- Background, steaming materials & procedure, and FAQ
- Author: Stephen Weil, ABC
- Recognized by the International Olympic Committee and the International Paralympic Committee as the world governing body for badminton.
- BWF Simplified Rules of Badminton
- BWF Laws of Badminton
- Has a profound impact on shuttlecock velocity and control.
- Scientific paper: The Effect of String Tension on Shuttlecock Velocity
- Higher tension: less velocity, but more control.
- Lower tension: more velocity, but less control.
- Need to experiment, but good starting points are given below.
- Male Tension (lbs): 19 – 21 / 22 – 24 / 25+ (Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced)
- Female Tension (lbs): 17 – 19 / 20 – 22 / 23+ (Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced)
- Has the responsibility and rights to oversee and manage all types of badminton competition in the USA.
- Actively involved in the preparation of the best players in the USA for the Olympic Games.
- Alan Kakinami of AK Badminton has strung for some of the best players in the world at some of the most prestigious tournaments.
- Players: Lin Dan, Taufik Hidayat, Tony Gunawan
- Tournaments: Olympic Games, BWF World Championships, All England Open, US Open, Pan American Games
- Alan uses an $8,000 state-of-the-art Yonex PROTECH8 (a/k/a Toyozouki String System: Model 8) stringing machine.